Living in Kyoto

Necessary procedures

Obtain an entry visa

Once you have decided to enroll in a school and have been admitted, obtain a visa to enter Japan.
Visa to be obtained Student
How to obtain a visa About entry visas | Study Kyoto website other window

If you plan to work part-time while studying:

International students who intend to work part-time after entering Japan must apply for and receive a “permission to engage in an activity other than those permitted by the status of residence previously granted” from the Immigration Services Agency in advance. Please apply for this permit when entering Japan. The application forms available at the Immigration Services Bureau may be used, or they can be downloaded from the Immigration Services Agency website other window in advance. If you do not apply for a permit when you first enter Japan, you will need to apply for a permit at the Osaka Regional Immigration Services Bureau.

Housing contract

Most schools have their own partnerships with real estate agents to help you find a safe and secure home, so ask your school first once your enrollment is decided.

Residence Card registration

A Residence Card will be issued at the time of passing through immigration. Once you have decided on your place of residence, bring your Residence Card to the municipal office of your place of residence to register within 14 days.

  • The Residence Card is your identification card which must be carried at all times.
  • If there are any changes to the information on your Residence Card, or if you transfer or withdraw from your educational institution, please notify the Osaka Regional Immigration Services Bureau.

Enrolling in the National Health Insurance

If you will stay in Japan for more than three months, you must enroll in the “National Health Insurance”. If you enroll in the National Health Insurance, you will be issued an insurance card.

  • If you are not enrolled and go to a hospital or clinic due to illness or injury, you will have to pay a large amount in medical expenses, so be sure to enroll. If you enroll late, you may be charged for past premiums at a later date.

Opening a bank account

Bring your Residence Card to a bank or post office (Japan Post Bank) near your home or school and open an account.

Necessary items to open an account:

  • Residence Card
  • Health Insurance Card
  • Student card
  • Seal (some banks accept signatures)
  • Cash to deposit (at least 1 yen)

Contracts for telecommunications (smartphone/Wi-Fi)

Smartphone contract

Contract methods differ depending on the carrier, so check, in advance, the necessary documents to enter a contract.
Japan’s three major carriers DoCoMo, au, Softbank
Example of required documents
  • Residence Card
  • Passport
  • Credit card
  • Japanese bank account (bank card or passbook) * If choosing direct bank debit payments
  • National Health Insurance Card * If choosing direct bank debit payments
  • Parental consent form * For minors
  • Thư đồng ý của phụ huynh * Trường hợp trẻ vị thành niên

Wi-Fi contract

Some apartments and condominiums already have Wi-Fi available, but many do not, in which case you will need to enter a contract yourself.
Rent a Wi-Fi router from a carrier There are some companies that rent out a Wi-Fi router at the time of entering a smartphone contract with a carrier. There are plans that will save a little money, such as including it in your smartphone contract, so please check the details.
Internet provider contract There are providers in Kyoto that offer specialized services for international students. We recommend searching for a provider that suits your needs.

Living in Kyoto

Part-time work

Part-time work limit

  • Up to 28 hours a week
  • Up to 8 hours a day (up to 40 hours a week) during long vacations such as summer vacation

How to find part-time work

  • Introduction by your school
  • Checking part-time work information magazines and the advertisements section of newspapers
  • Introduction by the Public Employment Security Office (Hello Work)
  • Introduction from friends and school acquaintances
  • School bulletin board
  • Job advertisements (websites), etc.

How to dispose of garbage

Garbage disposal rules are detailed and vary by city. Condominium and apartment buildings may also have specific rules, so check with the real estate management company who you signed the contract with or your landlord for details.

Emergency calls

To call an ambulance 119
To call the police 110


For more detailed information about living in Kyoto, please see the Study Kyoto website other window .
Kyoto Vocational Schools Network

Digital pamphlet

Kyoto Vocational School Guide Book